Finding Balance: Making the Lifestyle Commitment
Good health doesn’t just come from changing your eating habits (although that’s part of it!). A happy, healthy mind is a key contributor to good health. While a focus on a healthy lifestyle by eating right and exercising will do wonders for your body, living a “balanced” lifestyle means protecting your emotional health too.
Let’s face it: life is BUSY! We all get so tied up with work, family functions, and social events. We forget to even think about making ourselves a priority! Making the commitment to consistently recharge ourselves, both physically and mentally, is necessary in finding a balanced lifestyle that will work for you.
Here are my top three tips on how to lead a well-balanced lifestyle:
Find an exercise routine you love: Exercise isn't something you should force yourself to do. If it is, you will never stick with it and it will turn into a chore that you will be tempted to skip in the long run! Find something that you look forward to doing. Exercise plays a significant role in reducing stress, so make time and motivate yourself for exercise:
- Plan fun workouts for the weekend - go hiking, biking, or play a game of golf or tennis.
- Sneak in some exercise on your lunch hour (walking around the mall or taking a trip to the park), or wake up earlier and start your day with a jog around the neighborhood.
2. Invest in your body by feeding it healthy foods: The right diet for you may not be the right diet for me, so it’s important to find what works for YOUR body! Regardless, your spirits high! Healthy food can be delicious, and it's fun to try new recipes. Cooking nutritious foods doesn't have to be time-consuming:
- Buy ready-to-eat fruits and vegetables so that you can grab them on the go.
- Plan your menu for the week by using what you have on hand or making a grocery list for what you will need. Having a system in place will help you resist driving through the fast-food lane or ordering a pizza!
3. Exploring Creative Outlets: Stress can keep you from enjoying life and can have a seriously negative impact on your health. Research also has shown that stress can actually stifle creativity!
Carve out some time each day to indulge in creative outlets you enjoy to help with stress reduction. It’s so important for your mental health!:
- Get up a few minutes earlier in the morning to savor a cup of coffee, a workout, or some quiet time before everyone else in your house wakes.
- Set aside time each week to a hobby you love or to learning a new one you’ve always wanted to try.
- If you normally sit at your desk and eat lunch while you work, try spending your lunch hour doing things you enjoy instead! Go for a walk, read a book, or listen to a inspirational podcast.
- LAUGH! It helps to build your immunity, lower your blood pressure, improve your mood, and most importantly - alleviate stress!
These are just some of the reasons I preach balance to my clients! If you need help incorporating balance into your lifestyle, I encourage you to take a look at some of the services I have to offer. I would love to help you find the balance you’ve been looking for in your own life!