Benefits of Chia Seeds
Nutrition Spotlight this Friday goes out to the ever popular and becoming more and more familiar in healthy house holds! Chia Seeds! Are you familiar with Chia Seeds yet? Maybe you’ve got them on hand but don’t quite know how to integrate them into your diet regularly yet? I’ve got you covered today…
First off, lets talk about the benefits of Chia Seeds:
What are they?
Chia seeds are one of the healthiest superfoods on earth! Yes, its true.
Here are just five ways they are beneficial for you- 1. They are PACKED with nutrients but low in calories: A 1 ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds contains:
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega 3’s
- Calcium: 18% of the RDA.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDA.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDA.
- They also contain a decent amount of Zinc, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B2.This is particularly impressive when you consider that this is just a single ounce, which supplies only 137 calories and one gram of digestible carbohydrate!
2. Chia Seeds are mostly fiber so they are low in Carbohydrates- because they are mostly fiber you are able to feel fuller faster, without the bloat and keeping your carb intake lower while still getting all the benefit!
3. Chia Seeds are easy to build into your diet: Ground them up, throw them in your smoothies or protein shakes and make them even more nutrient dense. You can bake with them, put them in protein bites, oatmeal, etc. If you like a “crunch” you’ll love chia seeds mixed in!
4. Chia Seeds are high in protein: Chia seeds contain a decent amount of protein. By weight, they are about 14% protein, which is very high compared to most plants. They also contain a good balance of essential amino acids, so our bodies should be able to make use of the protein in them. Protein has all sorts of benefits for health. It is also the most weight loss friendly nutrient in the diet, by far. Source: https://authoritynutrition.
com/11-proven-health-benefits- of-chia-seeds/ 5. Chia Seeds aid in weight loss: Because they are higher in fiber chia seeds can truly help aid your weight loss efforts— fiber absorbs large amounts of water and this helps you feel fuller faster. Your food can absorb slower and you won’t over eat! Also because they are a seed higher in protein you are again likely to not over eat when you are getting nutrient dense and filling healthy foods via the Chia Seed.
I hope you’ll try adding Chia Seeds into your diet and see if any of the these benefits become realities for you! Here is one of my tried and true favorite protein packed snacks that I’ve added chia seeds into to make even more healthy and packed with great nutrients— give it a try today! Your whole family will likely love these!
Check out this hearty, protein-packed on the go snack I love with CHIA SEEDS!
Protein Peanut Butter Balls Mix Together: -2 cups natural (no sugar added) Peanut Butter -1 cup organic/raw honey (whip the PB and honey first) - Add 1 tablespoon of Chia Seeds - Then add 1 tablespoons hemp/flax seed - 1/4Cup Chopped Almonds -Add a handful or two of dark chocolate chips -Finally- add up to 4 cups of natural/organic rolled oats in to the mix making sure it doesn’t get to crumbly. --->Mix it all up and hand roll into 2-3 inch balls on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Place rolled balls on the sheet and freeze for one hour. Store in your fridge and grab one or two when you need a protein filled snack or want to skip the cookie for something sweet but healthy. Delish!