Healthy Snacks: Making a Small Change
If you happen to hop on Pinterest or google and type in “clean snacks” you will get more results at your fingertips in .2 seconds than you can even imagine. We live in a time where information on everything is literally at our fingertips and have more tools accessible to us than ever before. And while this is generally a great thing, when we are in the midst of changing our nutrition habits or workouts, it can also be information overload. In an attempt to clear the internet clutter and not add to it, today I wanted to come to you and share a simple tool to start to change your nutrition habits in a subtle but effective way that will impact your daily food choice habits.
Its not unreasonable to think that jumping into a “clean eating” lifestyle can be daunting and hard. From wading through information, making choices about how to meal plan, what to toss out and what to keep and so on, the overwhelm can cause enough frustration to want to throw in the towel before you even get started. So instead of giving in to that frustration and throwing in the towel, lets talk about ONE WAY you can start this process that will allow you to get the hang of make better and better choices as you go. Here’s my tip:
Start by choosing healthy SNACK options throughout your day.
Think about it, in the midst of the busyness, and chaos of our days it is easy to grab whatever is convenient, on hand or tempting to satisfy our hunger or cravings. When we do this many things can happen. For one, you may feel like a failure and decide you’ve already wasted the day and continue to eat whatever because of it. Or you may feel hungry still because the choice you made had little nutritional value so instead of a small snack, you eat more empty calories than you planned because you are still hungry. There are a variety of reasons snacking can be our downfall and thats why starting with choosing healthy snack options can be the catalyst for changing up your whole diet in the long run.
Consider that planning and bringing health snack options with you each day can be beneficial in many ways.
- You’ll always have a default snack on hand when hunger strikes or you are tempted to drive through the coffee stand for a pastry.
- Healthy, planned snacks help you feel in control and when you feel in control you’ll be less likely to dive into the office donuts that show up. Knowing you have something on hand to eat that will fuel your body will help you skip the junk while giving you the pick me up you need.
- The more you make healthy choices during the day, the more likely you are to stay on track and not want to choose something to derail you. When you are working at this, every good decision compounds and empowers you to continue on. After a day of healthy choices in the snack department, you’ll be more likely to want to follow through and eat a clean and nutritious dinner, breakfast and so on. Those compound choices daily add up to habit forming results you’ll benefit from more and more.
So lets talk about some great healthy snack options for anyone. Whether you are at work, on the go or home, have these items on hand, prepped and ready to go to start your week off on the right track. See how small changes in your diet can add up to big results and the desire to take your nutrition to the next level when it comes to all of your meals! Here are some of my favorite healthy snack options for you to give a try:
PROTEINS- always a great choice, for an energy boost, a good hearty snack that will keep you fueled:
- Hard boiled eggs
- Low sugar beef jerkeys
- clean protein bars (Try RX Bar, its my favorite)
- Protein Shakes (easy to mix up in a blender bottle)
- Shredded chicken mixed up with mashed avocado (proteins and healthy fats)
- Egg whites with salsa
- Tuna packet with vinaigrette
FATS- your body needs healthy fats, these will help boost your metabolism and keep your body running the way it needs to:
- Nut butter and veggie sticks (protein and healthy fats packed with crunch)
- Hummus and carrots
- Avocado and rice crackers
- Nitrate free, grass fed meat sticks
- Plain Greek yogurt with a little honey or fresh fruit
CARBS- Yep, you definitely need these to fuel your muscles and your body to effectively work the way it was designed to:
- Fruit, fruit and more fruit— try focusing on integrating berries of all kinds into your diet, high in antioxidants and flavor
- Homemade sweet potato fries, sliced, baked, sprinkled with sea salt
- Rice cakes with nut butter
- Superfood Shakes
- Rice Crackers and cucumbers
- Grape tomatoes with hummus
- Cold Quinoa salad with vinaigrette and diced veggies
- Kale or Plantain Chips (if you haven't tried plantain chips... YOU MUST)
DRINK- If you are tempted by an afternoon sugary latte or mocha try this instead:
- Almond milk latte (add a little honey if you need some sweet or try without)s
- Unsweetened flavored iced tea or iced green tea (again- you can add some stevia or honey if necessary)
- Coffee blended with a little coconut oil and almond milk or grass-fed butter
- WATER always! Focus on drinking half your body weight in ounces for the best results and don't be afraid to add lemon or other fruits to infuse the flavor to help you drink more!
Starting slow, taking out sugary, highly processed, empty calorie snacks can be a great jump start to overhauling your diet from breakfast through dinner. Begin implementing some of these healthy snack tips and then build on those successes and watch your confidence grow…. in no time at all you’ll find yourself on the hunt for nutrient dense, protein and healthy fat packed healthy meals you’ll be confident making part of your lifestyle. As always, if you need a starting point- I’m here to help!
Cheers to healthy snacking!